Saturday, December 10, 2011

So hungry you could eat a horse?

I don't know about you, but when I was little girl, I wanted a pony. I was, of course, influenced by the ever popular D.W., from the Arthur series, who wanted a pony just as badly. Needless to say, I never got my pony, but my mom bought me a horse poster that said "Free Spirit" to compensate. The other day, a girl in my modern american lit. class read us her favorite childhood poem. It was by Shel Silverstein and was all about a girl who died from not getting a pony. Just last night I was in the basement and saw my sister's old 'My Little Pony' toys and smiled as I remembered how infatuated she was with them. Clearly, horses and ponies alike have played a large role in our childhoods.




Now think about this: horses could soon be slaughtered in the US for human consumption. That's correct, we could soon be living in a country that butchers horses just like the already doomed turkeys and chickens. When I first read about this, it was on Tumblr. I follow this girl 'veganskinnybitch' who was outraged with this new development, and rightly so. Not only did the little girl in me gag at the thought, but also the vegetarian I am today. So I did a little of my own research to figure out whether or not horse slaughter was a legitimate possibility.

Apparently, in 2006, slaughter opponents had pushed through a five year ban in Congress which cut off funding for horse meat inspections. Before you know it, five years later Congress is lifting the ban in a spending bill signed into law about a month ago. The only thing that I guess can be seen as a positive (seems like there are hardly concerning this issue) is that the bill doesn't allocate any new money to pay for horse meat inspections. These inspections could cost taxpayers up to $5 million a year according claims made by slaughter opponents.

However, despite the possibility of ridiculous costs for taxpayers, there are still psychos out there ready to pounce on the opportunity to open up slaughterhouses. According to ABC, pro-slaughter activists are working very eagerly towards getting a plant started and estimate that once a slaughterhouse opens, up to 200,000 horses could be slaughtered a year for human consumption. A pro-slaughter group, United Horseman, is already lining up investors to finance a processing plant.

I don't even know how to begin expressing my disgust at this possibility. Just the other day, it dawned on me what cattle ranching meant and now I'm supposed to handle the thought of horse slaughter too. Everything about this idea just infuriates me. I'm sorry, but pro-slaughter activists? I thought activists are supposed to be working for the good side, or something like that.  But maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did.

Just something to think about the next time you say 'I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.'




No comments:

Post a Comment