Saturday, June 16, 2012

Imagine


Imagine a world with more birthdays. This is just one of the many motivational quotes I heard at Relay For Life.

Relay For Life is probably one of the most inspiring events I've ever been to in my lifetime. It's the type of event that makes you feel like there's actually some hope for our crazy world. It's the type of event that makes you feel like you're ready to tackle anything. After catching up on sleep, of course.

I'm not even sure how the idea to start a team came about, but before we knew it, my friend Abby and I were actively recruiting people to join an arbitrary effort to stand up against a vicious disease, cancer. After putting together a team and somehow managing to fundraise two days before the actual event, I know I was excited for Relay.




Besides getting eaten alive by unmerciful mosquitoes, walking approximately ten miles, and learning how to set up a tent, Relay fostered several experiences and revelations for me. Throughout the night and morning, I got to have fun with friends, eat as much as I wanted, and listen to and reminisce about music from my childhood. All of these are moments that cancer patients may never get to experience again. A little girl named Marit talked about getting diagnosed with cancer as a kindergartner, and it brought tears to my eyes to hear how painful her experience was. I'm not exactly sure if I have any relatives that were cancer patients, but I do know that Relay made me so much more passionate about taking a stand against the disease that deprives patients and families of experiences they deserve to have.

So even though my legs are swollen because of how many bug bites I have, I know that they are a sign of the  day that I took a stand against Cancer.

Imagine that world with more birthdays, and tell me you can't help taking a stand as well.



Technorati claim token: YEGJ6YBEF52K

No comments:

Post a Comment