Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Green Smoothie Challenge: Day 1


I recently decided to try out the whole green smoothie challenge thing. I think I've been slacking on healthy habits since summer started, so I've decided to embark on a new lifestyle starting this week. I've been going on runs every morning and do some yoga every day. We'll see how long this new attitude lasts, but for right now I'm going to take advantage of it.

A major weakness of mine, and many others I think, is how much I love unhealthy food. I have an overly large sweet tooth and enjoy eating many types of junk. I like fruits and vegetables too, I just don't think I eat them as much as I should. I have also never tried making a smoothie with greens before, so I wanted to try it out for fun and health. I'm going to be drinking a green smoothie every day for at least five days, but maybe seven if I can make it!

Day 1 Recipe: 2 big handfuls of organic spinach ~ 2 sliced peaches (not canned, peeled) ~ 1 tablespoon of honey ~ 1/4 cup of oats (or your favorite healthy cereal) ~ 1 cup of water

I am going to be focusing on using spinach as my main green for this week because it is loaded with antioxidants and is a very nutrient dense food. It's also an excellent source of Iron and is very good for your brain. It's important that you use organic spinach because it is one of the high pesticide-containing foods. A blending tip: put the spinach on the bottom, it seems to work better.

This smoothie was actually yummy! I was worried about how the oats would taste, but they complemented the other ingredients very well. This smoothie is quite filling so it ended up being my entire breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. OooooOOoooo! I might have to try this! I like peaches and spinach...but I haven't tried them together yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should, and then tell me what you think!!

    ReplyDelete