Monday, December 31, 2012

College Apps? Check.

I finished my college apps. I FINISHED MY COLLEGE APPS.

Sorry, it just feels amazing to say that. Now that I'm done, I realize that they aren't even that bad. It's just that they push you to get your shit together. And your future depends on them. But remember this, the college that you go to doesn't determine your success; you do. (I hope I remember this when I'm getting my rejection letters in April).

Here are some things I learned along the way:

1. Be organized. Seriously. I quickly learned that in order to be successful, I had to keep a list of all my colleges and their requirements and deadlines. Trust me, it helped a lot.

2. Be Prepared. Do yourself a HUGE favor and finalize your list of colleges and research their requirements/deadlines before you start senior year. The summer is perfect for casual work, because let's be honest: there will be moments over the summer you're bored out of your mind and need something to do. Make use of that!

3. Don't Stress Out. Easier said than done, I know. But I also know that when I'm stressing out, I can't think clearly. Thinking clearly is vital to doing a good job. Something to help with this: SUBMIT APPS BEFORE THEIR DEADLINES. In case something goes wrong, you won't be reduced to a pile of stress and tears because there's time to hopefully get it fixed.

4. Ask for help! Don't be afraid to approach friends, teachers, counselors! They love helping you and want you to succeed in life. Also, don't put off asking for help until it's too late. If that does happen, better late than never!

5. Celebrate. Every time I finished an app, I found that it was really helpful to reward myself and relax. It kept my motivation going. Just don't go overboard.


Now that I'm done with apps, I have 2 days left to my winter break. I think I might marathon Parks and Recreation...

or do my homework.

1 comment: