Just one little problem: I don't remember how to do that in an articulate manner anymore. The landscape of my mind looks something like this:
So I figured I would ease myself in by writing about something that's always on my mind -- movies! I'll admit that it feels a little mediocre to be writing about movies for my "grand return", but whatever works, right? Right.
Recently, I have been taking full advantage of my sister's Amazon Prime account and came across Mystic Pizza. I decided to watch it mainly because I figured I couldn't go wrong by choosing a movie starring Julia Roberts and featuring pizza. While I generally like Julia Roberts' movies, I didn't anticipate just how good Mystic Pizza would be, especially for an 80s movie about three girls and their adventures with love. What I appreciated most was the development of each character and the authenticity of their relationships. Most notably, Daisy's (Julia Roberts) relationship with her mother and her sister Kat felt genuine and true to my personal experiences. I also did not expect to sob along with Kat as she goes through heartbreak.
It is also worth noting that I want to be Kat's best friend. She's an endearing busy bee who loves astronomy, works at a pizza shop and the planetarium AND babysits, and has the cutest smile. This is what I mean about the quality of characters. She can still be an intellectual (She loves astronomy! She listens to Mozart!) while indulging her romantic feelings. And yes, flirting with the married boss is dangerous territory, but you know what I mean. We are often subjected to rather poorly developed female characters on screen, especially in older movies.
Plus, Annabeth Gish does a delightful job of portraying her. In case you're not aware of Annabeth Gish, she went on to play the eldest of President Bartlett's daughters on The West Wing, but more importantly, Agent Reyes on The X-Files. I know, she's amazing.
I could definitely write more about Mystic Pizza, but I think the best way to appreciate it is to watch it!
I could definitely write more about Mystic Pizza, but I think the best way to appreciate it is to watch it!
On my next post, I might write about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, or I might write about something else. Check back, I guess!
No comments:
Post a Comment